
Darn. Packing is a ferocious task! I had no idea a person (well, 6 people) could accumulate so much "stuff". George Carlin has a great routine about "stuff". Its so true.
I've always fancied myself as a minimalist. I routinely grab a giant green garbage bag and either donate or throw out excess "stuff". I donate clothes and shoes and blankets/bed linen/curtains.
I throw away more broken crayons, errant barbie shoes, single flip-flops, socks with holes, exploded pens, batteries (I don't care if they are still live), paper of all varieties, greeting cards (some unused), magazines, old makeup...and so on and so on.
Then there is the stuff I have no idea what to do with. VHS tapes (we have millions...especially from the mystical Disney "vault" never to be released again this century) Tons of odd pens and pencils. Shopping bags and plastic containers (recycle!!) Boxes of kiddie works of art (you cannot, in good conscience throw this stuff out), Odd plates (obvious garage sale items that I cannot part with...I may need them for a mosaic project one day). Lots of art supplies for the day I have time to draw and paint again (which will probably be dried out and useless by that time). All manner of electrical equipment, wires, connectors, comuputer parts, monitors (this is Bernie's hobby) We own about 10 working televisions and almost as many stereo components.
Who needs this stuff and why can't we part with it? CDs/Books...who can part with music and literature? Its a lifetime of cycles in taste. Plus, now my son John is into Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin and reading the Communist Manifesto and studying Tao.
I ask you, who needs 4 sets of China? Who needs 3 sets of Everday Dishes? Its all good stuff so I can't get rid of it. My mom says to hold on to the China to pass down to my daughters and well, Everyday Dishes break all the time, so you need them...and when there is only one plate left from the set I can always add it to the Mosaic supply.
UGH. Well, back to packing.



No comments:
Post a Comment