17.6.07

Fried

Yesterday I took Gigi and her pal Shea to the beach. We had a great time! Gina met us there and time just seemed to fly by. I hoped she could stay with us for the night. Its always fun with Gina around. So, we finished up at the beach and went to the famous OB Diner for dinner. It began to pour rain. The girls were really bummed, but alas, the sun came out and all was well. We traveled a mile or so east to the Pt. Pleasant Boardwalk and they had a blast on the rides. I think they call that sort of thing a "Midway" around here. We just called it the "rides". Like, up here they say, "going down the shore" we said, "going to the beach"...I guess because we were already "down the shore".

Anyway, I started to feel the burn half way through my chicken souvlaki. Another thing not available anywhere other than the northeast...a Diner. I was shocked and dismayed when I moved to San Diego (drove across the country in a van with punk rock band boyfriend...)..there were no DINERS and forget good PIZZA. Man, what a let-down. At least there was Mexican food which at the time was a rarity on the East Coast. I remember when Coors and Corona were virtually unknown brands "back east" as they say.

But I digresssss (I hate when people say that!) Okay, so my skin is beginning to burn. I look into one of the shiny sides of the diner wall and see I am an intense color pinkish red. Oh no. I thought I'd be okay on the beach after 3pm...but no. The sun was still quite strong obviously. Also deceiving was the wind; it kept us cool (me anyway...Gina borrowed a sweatshirt).

I should really know better than to let this happen year after year. Its like I'm not happy until I get a really good burn going...it turns to tan and I'm cool with that.
It must be a "shore" thing. Being blonde and tan. It looks good on me so why not?
You only go around once, may as well try to look your best.

7 comments:

josie2shoes said...

Sounds like both you and Gina had a wonderful time at the beach yesterday, Angela. Yes, that ol' sun can be so tricky, at the time you never feel like you are being fried to a crisp, espeically when a breeze is blowing. So how is it today, still sore, or starting to settle down? It's wonderful you can turn golden this way, all I ever managed to do was peel. Diners are a rarity in these parts too, other than Mexican mom n' pops. Such is life in the boonies. :-(

Hope you have a wonderful week. Did you get daughter off to school withouth major hassles?

Angelissima said...

I'm a sun-burn veteran/victim?
I slather myself in Aloe (without alcohol in it!!! make sure or it will dry out the skin horribly)
3x a day so that I don't end up peeling.

Kids are all in school, no hassles. Kate wants her phone turned back on so she is towing the line, big time!

She will get it back after finals
:-)

josie2shoes said...

Yes, Aloe is AWESOME stuff, and feels so cooling on sunburns!

Delighted to hear that Kate is coming around to the idea that school = cellphone. A handy little device to use in these instances!

Gina said...

Aloe? Ow are you?

Oh man, Ang, I thought you were glowing at the beach and it never occured to me that you were actually cooking.

Hope you feel better! It was fun. Next time you'll have to waar a body suit of Sunscreen.

Let's fly Josie out for a splash.

Angelissima said...

ha! yeah. She doesn't care for the ocean, though...
:-(

(ow are you? lol)

josie2shoes said...

I do like the ocean, Angela and Gina, the beach at sunset is of course beautiful, it just always gives me a very lonely feeling. And you would not catch me dead or alive in a swimsuit or shorts while I am this size, so I would look rather ridiculous there in my kaftan or a pair of blue jeans!

Jamie said...

I'll bet your burn will be all tan by this morning, I love a natural tan--you are lucky that it ends up looking good on you. Oh...to go to the beach, how wonderful....

Blog Archive