
Well, it was raining in Jersey today. Kinda put a damper on the usual festivities.
Our pool is experiencing a green algae bloom which is a real bummer. I've been exercising like mad underwater.
We made the best of it though. Katie baked red velvet cupcakes with vanilla frosting and blueberries on top (see pic). She helped Gigi bake a devil's food bunt cake. I sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar on the top. The older kids took off for a party in Howell (about an hour away). So, it was our little gang, bernie, me, john and gigi.
I bought patriotic party goods and we all wore red,white and blue. Gigi was adorable in her little braids with big shiny red satin bows on them. I wore one too, with a white polo, blue and white skirt and red flops.
Anyone who wasn't wearing colors got stuck with a flag sticker from MOM.
Gina was blogging about fun traditions. I tend to make a big deal out of most everything...which is strange because my Mom really didn't ever go there for us.
She's kinda understated. She usually gave us cash as gifts and baked a cake...no hoopla.
In fact, once we were teenagers she stopped buying us Christmas presents. Cash in an envelope. Some iky plastic tree in the corner. That's when I stepped in I guess. I just sort of took over all of the arrangements for everything. Did most of the cooking for holidays, made sure everyone had a nice birthday.
My Mom was really overwhelmed I think. My Dad was pretty tyrannical back then. My brother Dan and I were into the substance abuse. Once we were legal drinking age, we just drank with my parents.
The usual...drink, laugh, sing, reminisce, cry and pass out.
Happy Birthday, Here's A Rock.



5 comments:
Your 4th sounds lovely, Angie - a very patriotic party with family. The treats looked looked YUMMY! I want one! :-)
It sounds like you were determined to make more special memories for your family than what you were raised with - that's awesome. Believe me your kids will remember and will do it for their kids too, each in their own way. Life needs to have celebrations, both big and small ones. Just surviving isn't living at all.
I know many people whose every holiday ends up with getting totally sauced. I guess I just don't see the fun in that anymore. Too much pain often gets tied up with the alcohol - too much family suffering.
Hope you get your pool cleared up fast - that sounds like such a nice refreshing way to exercise!
Your party sounds great. I used to do things like that when my kids were home, and I still would if I ever have grandkids. These days, I am doing well if I get the christmas tree up BEFORE the holiday. I need to take lessons from you....I like being that kind of person. I, too hope that you get your pool straightened out soon, it would be so great to have one, so much better on the body to be able to exercise in the water.
Wow. I didn't even bake a cake. I just bought an avocado to eat to eat with the turkey burgers....
I'm not into just handing out money just yet, although Liv would probably prefer that.....
I always remembered the pink cake your mom baked for Dan's birthday.
You always make it fun and memorable, Ang. Your holidays are so real and old fashioned. You know, not store bought...from those big wide trees you cut down from your own backyard to the popcorn chains and bulbs to the family creche...the one that goes down with the house. I think it's just in the genes to be that way, Ang. Remember Aunt Titsie and the meatballs.....
I like giving cash now too. I think the kids like it although at a recent bd party for a friends 8 year olds I was cornered by the one who demanded to know if I got him a present or just cash.
Some times you can just shock the green out of the pool. My dad does.
the cupcakes look delish...That red velvet cake aka waldorf estoria red cake is nice with boiled white icing....
glad to see you writing more!
The cash thing is great, don't get me wrong...(especially from the Aunties...) but from your parents you'd like to think there was a bit of thought involved, a personal touch, something a little special.
Cash, while it always fits and is the perfect color isn't too fun to open on Christmas morning...
HOWEVER...Gina, remember on my 13th birthday when my Mom gave me the GIANT Raggety Ann Doll!!!
That put me over the edge.
That was almost as bad as "The Hummel" Now there is a blog story!
Post a Comment