1.11.07

Be Kind

we are always asked
to understand the other person's
viewpoint
no matter how
out-dated
foolish or
obnoxious.

one is asked
to view
their total error
their life-waste
with
kindliness,
especially if they are
aged.

but age is the total of
our doing.
they have aged
badly
because they have
lived
out of focus,
they have refused to
see.

not their fault?

whose fault?
mine?

I am asked to hide
my viewpoint
from them
for fear of their
fear.

age is no crime

but the shame
of a deliberately
wasted
life

among so many
deliberately
wasted
lives

is.

Charles Bukowski

2 comments:

Gina said...

I recently discovered that some personality types actually have the ability to see things from every which perspective and because of this quality make really good negotiators. Other less fortunate personality types have great difficulty with this, and consequently are often branded narrow-minded, self absorbed trouble-makers!

Angelissima said...

Yes. Old Bukowski (picked him up on Ramblers)is quite the pessimist, but I believe that's part of the attraction. I admit to deep down feelings much like those expressed in his poetry. Can't help it. Boldly honest. Its the reality of many addicts a sadly wasted life. Skid Row serenade.

Not that any one life is actually wasted - everyone impacts something or someone somewhere - Take the case of Ebenezer Scrooge for instance.

Did you know that almost all therapists are middle children? The negotiators like to keep the peace.

Blog Archive