2.11.07

What Gives?

"This war has to finish before something new blossoms. There's no draft — that's why none of the kids give a shit. They'd rather watch videos on YouTube. It's hard to tell what's next — there is so much information out there with no power to it. Everything is in transition, including our government. Next year, it's someone else in the White House. There's no way to define anything. It's Generation Zero. But you gotta start at zero to get to something."

Billy Joe Armstrong
Rolling Stone Magazine
November 1, 2007

I've heard this opinion before and I heartily agree. Kids today just couldn't care less about anything other than themselves and perhaps Halo 3. Back in the day, we'd be marching on Washington D.C. bearing pitchforks and torches, burning GWB's likeness in effigy by now. Freakin' Fear Monger!

Did anyone see the Valerie Plame Wilsoninterview with Charlie Rose the other night?

Incredible.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I have every confidence that in time, this will ALL blow over!

ashes to ashes
dust to dust,
write when you can,
and vote if you must!

Gina said...

Generation Zero. The young adults who were 7 years younger at the time of 9/11 witnessed unspeakable horror and were affected by that overwhelming sense of powerlessness on a different scale and with a different set of circumstances, than the hippies back in the day. They've seen more blood and destruction on huge flat screen plasma and over the internet, than the activists of the 70s. Speaking of which, there was no internet for the expression of outrage and far less opportunity to have your voice heard. Perhaps you felt that the ONLY thing to do was band together, storm the White house. We've also not lost nearly as many troops as in Nam. Maybe we still have to lose a few hundred thousand more...NO! Waaaaaaaa........

I'm sure these kids are plenty desensitized and lack of connection has it's many causes, from over'kill', seeing it played out on TV to just trying to cope with incredible fear. Fight or flight.

Furthermore, it seems that most parents would have wanted to shield their young from these horrors. War is not an everyday thing I suppose it is natural that we would be using today's technology in ways which have helped us cope.

SHUT UP!
hahahaha

Maria said...

I know. It makes me feel so old. I remember handing out pamphlets, going to Student Democrat meetings, even being part of a sit in my high school to ban Styrofoam.

I am trying very hard to raise a daughter who wants her voice to be heard. But, I remember my politics being so opposite of my parent's views; I sometimes worry that I will put a little Republican out there.

Gina said...

Good for you Maria. You just raise her up to speak her mind sensibly and if she's anything like her mother, she'll make her point well understood. Nonconformist. I was told that our family were strong democrats back in the 60s but for some reason the patriarch, I guess Gramps, or someone over there on the Irish side made the decision. It was all very matter of fact. Anyway someone made the decision and they all went with it. Like being born Catholic and going Prod. Tried to convince Dad that I am not a Prod but a Nondenominational. Won't buy it.

You know, I always suspected there were people out there fighting for the cause. I can't stand styrofoam. AND I voted for paper over plastic bags. Will you join me in a sit down? I think they ought to ban Ban anti-perspirant!

Blog Archive