
Happy St. Valentine's Day.
Its good to make your wishes known. I like St. Valentine's Day. Even though lots of people (usually those NOT in love) like to poo-poo the day as a Hallmark Holiday
Its not. St. Valentine was a real person. St. Valentine was in love with LOVE.
(read the above link for more info and history of the life of St. Valentine)
So, to all of you who may poo-poo...I do feel sorry for you. What's so bad, by the way, about a day that celebrates love of not only a lover, but the love of friends and family? Whats so difficult about remembering how precious love in our lives IS? A love-less life is debilitating. Reach out to someone. Is a smile so difficult? Holding the door for someone so laboreous? Pay it Forward as they say.
Last year, Bernie forgot about St. Valentine's Day. I did not. I was crushed...the 11th hour box of Dove Chocolates from Pathmark just didn't cut it. The scribbled card on a slice of copy paper showed no thought.
This year was different. However, I needed to speak up. St. Valentine's Day is fun and important to me. I could let the events of last year be the norm, or I could take responsibility for my own happiness. Damn! I want flowers...no chocolate, and a card. He ordered the flowers well in advance this year.
I bought him a comfy robe and silky boxers...and other various and sundry fun items. Guys aren't so easy to give gifts to on such a day. I'm not even sure we ladies are supposed to give guys a gift...according to St. Valentine's Story; but as I said eariler...what's so bad about giving a gift to show a person they are loved and appreciated not only on St. Valentine's Day ...ANY day of the year?
Its not. St. Valentine was a real person. St. Valentine was in love with LOVE.
(read the above link for more info and history of the life of St. Valentine)
So, to all of you who may poo-poo...I do feel sorry for you. What's so bad, by the way, about a day that celebrates love of not only a lover, but the love of friends and family? Whats so difficult about remembering how precious love in our lives IS? A love-less life is debilitating. Reach out to someone. Is a smile so difficult? Holding the door for someone so laboreous? Pay it Forward as they say.
Last year, Bernie forgot about St. Valentine's Day. I did not. I was crushed...the 11th hour box of Dove Chocolates from Pathmark just didn't cut it. The scribbled card on a slice of copy paper showed no thought.
This year was different. However, I needed to speak up. St. Valentine's Day is fun and important to me. I could let the events of last year be the norm, or I could take responsibility for my own happiness. Damn! I want flowers...no chocolate, and a card. He ordered the flowers well in advance this year.
I bought him a comfy robe and silky boxers...and other various and sundry fun items. Guys aren't so easy to give gifts to on such a day. I'm not even sure we ladies are supposed to give guys a gift...according to St. Valentine's Story; but as I said eariler...what's so bad about giving a gift to show a person they are loved and appreciated not only on St. Valentine's Day ...ANY day of the year?



No comments:
Post a Comment