18.4.07

3:00


What is it about 3:00 pm? I always get tired around three. No matter if I'm home or at work, I suddenly become sleepy.
I suppose that is why "coffee break time" is usually at 3:00pm.

Check out Phil's advice:
- Phil's Quest To Be Greek

Most other websites talk about how people USED to be tired but because of some miracle tonic or diet, they no longer have this malady.

I think our bodies just were not meant to live the way we do. We need that 3-5pm respite.
Why can't we realize this - sure, we're a capitalist country based on the pursuit of the all-mighty dollar, but the Europeans nailed it. Shut down the city between 3-5pm. No need to mind the time of appointments. Take the entire month of August off for vacation. Take most of December and January for Christmas. The bad part about this is the waiting. You wait a lot. No one seems to mind though. We're sooo impatient.

A co-worker of mine was living in France for a few years. She didn't like it. She felt the lifestyle was better suited for retirees. She's young and likes the all the bustle of the big city I think.
Its okay for a while, the energy, but I'd rather wake up at 10 chill until noon, do a little work and chill till 5...do a little more work and then eat supper...go to bed and do it all over again.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I have the same problem. I feel so much more productive and energized after taking a 5-15 minute nap around 3 than I do scarfing down coffee I don't even particularly care for just to stay awake. "Sleeping on the job" is just overwhelmingly frowned upon though.

Brian said...

When I was home with 3 kids, 2:30 p.m. was the bottom of my day. Sometimes I would put Woody Woodpecker on Channel 5, ask the 4-year-old to keep an eye on the 2-year-old twins, and catch a 10-15 minute nap. I would sometimes set the alarm clock just in case. I developed a self-hypnosis technique combined with exhaustion and count backwards from 100. Almost without fail, I would be asleep before I reached 85, and awaken refreshed.

That's funny about sleeping on the job. I once worked with a great old guy who was approaching retirement, a mean feat in publishing. If he fell asleep at his desk I would ring him from my desk and hang up. Dignity preserved.

Blog Archive