
I spend a lot of time with my dog, Kelby. I work from home so I'm basically here all the time. I'm the only person he respects and/or listens to.
I've never had a real dog "of my own". I've lived with dogs, but they were my husbands dogs.
Kells is the first dog I've ever really taken care of full time.
I realized something over the weekend. Kells is like a child. A child that never grows up, that will always depend on me for food, water, shelter and to let him outside to poo. I bathe him, I groom him I talk to him all day. I take him to the vet to get his claws clipped.
All he wants to do it love, unconditionally. Real kids grow up and start making DEMANDS. Kells doesn't demand anything except attention a few times a day...I guess that, in a way, in a demand. And, he does sleep at the bottom of the bed, ONLY on my side...and then he creeps up until I'm rolled into a fetal position. "KELLS! move down!" "Bernie, the dog...I can't stretch out!" Bernie moves the dog back down to the bottom of the bed. I can't budge him if he's in "sack o' potato" mode. He passes out cold and just lays there like a sack of potatoes. He weighs about 40 lbs now...so its tough for me to move him.
Kells is jealous. He HATES when anyone hugs me. He needs to be in there...jumping up, getting in between whomever is hugging me. He is also very LOUD when he barks at strangers. He's an excellent watchdog. He will even bark when he hears a door bell on TV.
I love Kelby. He's my little gentleman.



3 comments:
That was so beautiuful, Angela. YOU and Kelby have that special something. The bond. You have captured my heart's desire, next to my super mondo coming to life, would be a dog....a dog's heart will never tire of loving you, forgiving and comforting. Whatever needs he has actually make you feel closer to him. My parents will not stand for it but when I get to ol' Virginny....
Thanks, Ang. You made my day.
(Next to ken, who saved my Super Mondo. After bathing they NEED to be powdered. I have officially lost it.)
Thanks Gina. (sorry for the typos)
One question: Super Mondo?
It's a goofy squishy ball that can be turned inside out and stretched to actually fit over one's head...not that I do that. It has soft spikes on it and it's just nice all around. I put mine over my shifter in the car. Some kind of tactile therapy. I think they use them with Autistic people....anyway, it became dirty and I washed it out and it was sticky and not responding well....so he explained about the recuperative powers of the Super Mondo and how it will return to it's natural form with the thinnest film of dust. I put the baby powder on it and it was back in business in no time. Sounds kinda kinky but it was my fave toy.
My only toy. Wait....it was a normal toy. Just forget it.
Post a Comment