In my old age I'm able to see through Master Manipulators. I've found the best way to deal with manipulator is to completely ignore them.Case in point. Gigi has a friend named Haley who is a sweet kid (as most are at this tender age). Her Mother is text book narcissist.
Haley invited Gigi to sleep over at her house last night, fine. This morning I was treated to yet another confabulation by MM. For some odd reason, she was trying to have me consent to entertaining the girls today, since she needed to go shopping.
My response? I'll come and pick up Gigi. Don't get me involved with this extended sleepover situation.
"Oh, but the girls are playing so nicely together and I'd hate to separate them..." See, why does the play date need to be ongoing into the entire next day? This lady simply wants to go shopping alone, but refuses to ask me if I'd watch her daughter.
"My dog died on Thursday and I need to shampoo my carpets today" My response, "I'll come and pick up Gigi"
"Oh, but I Haley will be so upset if Gigi has to go home...you know, our dog just died" Okay, this is creepy. She's playing the dead dog card.
I explain to her that I have plans for today. I will pick up my daughter if she needs to go out and has chores to do.
"Well, I have to go to Costco, I have no food in this house" My response. "I know how that is...I'll come by and pick up Genevieve so you can go shopping."
Then, she actually asked me point blank what kind of plans I had!
I told her I have a lot of yard work and need to go to Lowe's.
"Okay", she says, "Well, Haley hates shopping. I'll ask my husband if he can stay home from work a few hours so I can go shopping and they can still play. "
Dog card, No-Food-In-The-House card, Husband-has-to-go-to-work card.
I'm thinking...wow. If she just wants me to baby sit, why doesn't she just ASK so I can say NO and we can move on with our lives?
I'm thinking, any mere mortal mom would have caved in by now. Not Alpha Mom. It took me a lot of intense therapy to reform my own delusions of grandeur and hang up my Master Manipulator tool belt for good.
Its a bittersweet memory to watch me in action.



No comments:
Post a Comment