16.5.07

Things your mother never told you, but I will - vol 1


Beware of men bearing roses on the first date.

8 comments:

Gina said...

so you were right. Okay!

Angelissima said...

only after years of being handed the "Here she comes, Miss America" bouquet by a total stranger...lest we not forget a portly gent sporting a coffin-full...

Seriously, what right does a guy have that barely knows you to make such an investment as a dozen roses?

The ironic part about the first guy who gave me a dozen roses on the first date...he used a COUPON from an Entertainment book to pay for dinner!!!!!

LOSER.

josie2shoes said...

Ewwww....definite loser! I hope that was the first and LAST date!!

Angelissima said...

Josie,
The most uncomfy part...
He is the divorced father of my oldest daughters best friend.
He called the next day with plans for the entire summer.
How awkward!

I was reduced to the old
"Its not you, its me" line.

Gina said...

I loved my roses. I did. Still have the dried out petals. Sappy but it meant something to me. I suppose when you invest a huge amount of time with each other, ringing up astronomical phone bills...it's something some men do to make you happy. That's all. Maybe they are all hyped up...over the newness and sure it's downhill from there, but I just LOVE flowers. I don't think most men would feel safe goin with my fave daisies. BUt thanks for the heads up, Ang. First date roses are banned.

Angelissima said...

see, daisies are sweet. I had a really messed up suicidal (I didn't know he was suicidal and sexually ambiguous) first date give me a gerber daisy (one). It was a really sweet, cute gesture. On the second date, he gave me a brown paper bag with a few apples from a roadside stand. Also, sweet gesture...appropriate for someone whom you've just met.

Too bad he was so mentally messed up...oh well, at least could give good gift.

I think most men try and make a good impression by the "roses" gesture. Perhaps to some it would impart the aura of wealth (except in cases whereby the roses are of "gas station" quality.)

But still. Not appropriate.

In my humble opinion.

Angelissima said...

you know, gina...I don't think the fella who gave you the roses was really a total stranger. I mean, you did have lengthy convos and such.
It wasn't like a fix-up. You still care for the guy so the roses take on a different light, and thats cool.

The craziest was the Tom Marr situation.

josie2shoes said...

Yikes, Angela, what a sticky situation that one with the daughter's best girlfriend's father was. Sounds like you handled it graciously.

I agree daisies and apples are cool - and creative. Roses though beautiful, are so ordinary.

Blog Archive