
This morning I had to be *strict* and it didn't work out. Kate decided she didn't need to go to school today because she has Gym first period and first period was scheduled for finals today. Never mind the other classes are still in session. UGH!!! Apparently one of the teachers told her that attendance doesn't count any longer. This high school has a really stringent attendance policy. If a student is absent 18 times they lose credit for the year. Kate has already surpassed this amount, for legitimate illness, etc. I had to actually sit though an appeals process with the principle, guidance and nurse to explain her absences AGAIN (I always sent in doctors notes along with my own explainations)....the wind-up is she got her credit back, but cannot be absent for the rest of the year. WELL...cut to this morning.
I'm pissed already about the History situation and she informs me that she is heading down to the shore with her pals instead of going to school today. I'm really hurt by this. I never have to reprimand Katie. I'm really surprised that she's acting like this. Well, the cell phone is going off for a good long while... Bernie wants to delay her drivers test. (she turns 17 July 30th). Its bad enough we bought her the SUV she wanted and now she decides she doesn't like the standard transmission. I KNEW this was going to be a problem. UGH!!!! KIDS!
Since I was feeling peppy today I sat with Pherrin and sorted out all of her clothes. She's headed off to college in a few short months and probably has clothes from 7th grade still in her dresser drawers! Well, we have TONS of stuff for the Good Will.
After that I went outside and changed the pool filter, vacuumed the pool and adjusted the chemicals. Then I pruned the rose garden and removed the dead spring flowers to make room for the summer annuals. I pulled a whole trash can full of weeds out of the walkway that leads up to our back porch. Its a slate walkway with nasty little weeds that grow in between the stones. The weeds actually were quite large and the chemicals didn't kill them all, just sort of singed them! So, I figured while I was at it I may as well get the rest of these little suckers.
I know I'll probably regret this burst of work, but hey, I have to get this stuff done when the spirit moves me. The best part was jumping into the pool afterwards and cooooooling off!
Have a nice Friday night, ya'll!



5 comments:
Wow, you were BUSY today, Angela! Sounds like the morning started off stressful. Did you ever get her to school? If not, will it count against her? At that age there is a point where you can't make it happen if they won't cooperate. I would drop my daughter at the front door and she'd be out the back door and home before I was!
I like Bernie's idea of withholding a priviledge if she's not gonna cooperate. I believe in consequences, 'cuz that's how life is when you grow up.
Sounds like the clothing sort project was quite an undertaking, and I bet she loved having you do it with her. Amazing how much stuff we can pile up in closets and drawers.
ANd then you cleaned the pool...and weeded? Lord, I need to borrow your batteries! But you're right - when the spirit is willing gotta go with it!
Ahhhh, I could almost feel the splash of cool water when you rewarded yourself with a swim at the end!
You have an nice Friday night too -you've earned it! - RELAX NOW!
Nope, she went to the beach with her pals...not to school.
Yes, we do the ole withdrawl of privilages form of punishment around here. No cell phone or internet hits them were it hurts I tell ya!
Life has come a long way from the "go sit in the corner" days, hasn't it?! :-) And yes, they are permanently attached to their cellphones, so taking one away can be very effective behavior modification!
It sounds like you had a good day, the kid thing aside, I want to come and swim....I had to go through all that bull with the absences at school with all of mine, it seems they really thought that it wasn't an issue, they should be allowed to miss school when they didn't feel like going. Those days really did pass, although I remember thinking that they never would. BTW, they all graduated with good grades, my oldest boy went with full scholarship to college....just so you know that it will someday all be behind you....
Thanks, Jamie. Just a few more years to gooooo....
Post a Comment