
This weekend I harvested my first crop of green beans (see above). I was a little late as you may notice from my separation of haricot verdes from big fat long pole beans. I also harvested what I think is the last of the green peas. We've been graced with copius amounts of cucumbers and I suspect just as many tomatoes are on the way.
My tomato plants are taller than Gigi. Its scary! I'm afraid! The fine, fine manure in my organic garden has transformed our patch of red clay dirt in lovely Somerset County to the Garden of Eden.
Anyway, last night I sauteed a large shallot in butter and olive oil, then added the haricot verdes (aka:skinny young green beans)when they were coated and on their way I added about a cup of chicken stock and let them simmer with the lid on. While Bernie bbq-ed a few choice steaks, I made a salad of cold boiled california potatoes and sliced fresh cucumbers. I made a dressing out of red wine vinegar (rice wine vinegar would have been better)and canola oil (olive oil would have been better). I added fresh parsley (fresh dill would have been better) about a half-teaspoon of dried thyme, brown mustard(dijon mustard would have been better)and freshed ground sea salt and white pepper.
It was actually very good. I paired it all with a great green salad.
Oh. I roasted my own flesh this weekend. I am extremely sunburned!!! OWWWW!



6 comments:
Living the life~ I must come up and check out your garden of Eden! Your garden sounds exciting, Angela! That green bean dish and your salad sounds really deliscious....WOW!
Sorry to hear about your sunburn. Owie!! Hope you are slathering on the Aloe. I once had a terrible burn and got a lot of relief with Noxema. Get that Sun screen on!
ANGIE!!! There is nothing I love more than fresh green beens from the garden, and just listening to this creation left me drooling. How I wish you lived nearby so I could show up at the door with a beggar's bowl! :-)
Definite ouch on the sunburn. Now what would you say to your kids if they did this?? LOL
I LOVE gardening. I bet I spend hours a day out there, weeding, watering, coaxing.
Nothing I loved more yesterday than eating my own cucs, peppers and tomatoes...
Tomatoes are best if you slice them in half and heat them for several hours in a low oven and then at the end, put a slice of cheese on them. It is one of our favorite dinners. We eat it with crusty bread.
OH...I want to come to dinner...:)
An hour in the Garden is like a....
what was it?????
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the beans of an irishmum...
nothing tastes better than veggies fresh outta the garden... but i can't grow nuthin! black thumb hear. i'm lucky if i can keep a silk plant alive!
Post a Comment