
Where the Freudians maintained that a painstaking exploration of childhood experience was critical to understanding neurosis and curing it, Dr. Ellis believed in short-term therapy that called on patients to focus on what was happening in their lives at the moment and to take immediate action to change their behavior.
"Neurosis," he said, was "just a high-class word for whining."
Albert Ellis, the founder of cognitive behavioral therapy, has spent the past 50 years encouraging patients to "forget their goddamn past!" The best way to cure people's unhappiness, he says, is to just tell them—firmly—to stop acting irrationally.
My Hero.
I'd still be a whiner playing the blame game if not for years of cognitive therapy.
Here's an irrational thought: I think gremlins have taken over my blogger account I have no idea why my heading is written in Hindi. Actually, its an ad for their translation feature. Interesting marketing ploy, highly annoying.



4 comments:
WOW! And here I was so impressed at your liguistic abilities! LOL
Nah, I ain't THAT good.
Albert Ellis sounds like Dr. Phil.
I'm glad you told us what those words were, because I thought it was a demonic incantation.
You see those a lot on blogs these days.
Hi D.
Yeah, he is a lot like Dr. Phil. As much as I think Dr. Phil explots really dumb people for financial gain. I do agree with his methods.
Cognitive Therapy is tough work. For me its effective. Lets face it, you cannot change the past. At some point a person needs to just take a deep breath and let it go. Focus on who you are now and where you want to be, who you want to be, in the future.
Im not going to say my past doesn't crop up and haunt me sometimes. Your experiences in life are what shape you. However, thats no reason to just wallow in a self-generated pity party forever.
Life is short and beautiful if you just take the right attitude.
Post a Comment