
I work from home.
I used to commute to NYC everyday, then 4 days a week, then 3...
Then I decided wasting 4 hours a day on the trains was just that, a waste.
So, I resign my managerial position and now do specialized one off projects that are mostly very enjoyable for me.
Right now, I'm in a meeting. I do my report first, always. Not sure why, but I'm glad. After I say my piece, I put the phone on speaker and do things like fold laundry, blog, read email, sort out paperwork. Since its summer, I spend some Tuesdays lounging in my pool or laying in the sun while the meeting goes on.
Its not that I am apathetic towards the others in my department. I just cannot hear a word they say. The conferencing mechanism on the phone isn't the best. I used to try and hear what they were saying, but found myself constantly interrupting with a "Can you repeat that, please?"
Its bad enough I'm a decade+ older than my co-workers. I don't want to sound like a complete geriatric asking to have things repeated over and over.
I basically gave up on trying to strain my hearing. If its really important I'll hear a pause, as if someone was expecting me to say something...then I say, "Can you repeat that, please?"
If you asked, I wouldn't know what to say as far as my position in the company. I've been there longer than pretty much everyone, I sit at the "big people" table when I'm attending a meeting in town.
Here's what I am responsible for:
Writing a weekly interview column (identifying a subject, contacting, writing questions, editing answers, posting interview online every Monday)
Photo editing (reviewing and editing incoming photos for use on the website.)
Media blog (responsible for searching the web for media stories regarding our groups, editing, mock-up images, posting...)
Main contact for media regarding photographs of our groups in action.
I guess that's pretty much it.
Where else can I be paid to have fun?
I head into our offices in NoHo twice a month for meetings.
Love it. Fits my life like a glove.



3 comments:
now that's right up my alley, Ang. Any job openings in Virginny?
I am sort of like you, but in a different industry. I used to be part of a giant wheel.
Then, I went on my own and started freelancing (I had a child to raise and was missing everything, so I made the decision to take a huge cut in salary and go on my own).
I have never regretted it.
here, here!
Post a Comment