18.8.07

Foiled


Today was one of those days that inspire greatness. 75F, low humidity (for Jersey) deep blue skies. They kind of day where the sun shines just a little bit different. Autumnal.
I put John and Gigi to work helping me with the laundry. I stashed all of our laundry in my walk-in bedroom closet last weekend to get it out of sight before my guests arrived. J&G are my victims. The older sisters head out on Saturday morning and we're lucky if we see them Sunday night. I like it though. Our own little family. Gigi isn't a snotty teen yet and John is just a sweet, funny soul. He keeps me laughing. Anyway, Pherrin calls to inform me of a hair salon that just opened and is offering discounted services for new customers. Cool! She's be getting ready to leave for school and wants to strip her hair of its jet-blackness. So, I head down (no pun intended) and check out the sitch. Her haircut is gorgeous and the stylists are up for a dye experiment. They perform bleach "strand tests" on inconspicuous sections of her hair. Originally I was on my way to the gym, but get me in a salon with creative people and I just can't tear myself away. "Do you have time to foil me?" "what do you need, a partial?" "yeah, and a cut" "shoooooowaahhh" (think sopranos accents here)
So, I sit down and Christina goes to work. Nothing like dishing the dirt with a first generation Italian from Brooklyn. Brook-a-leeen. Funny stories. Italians are so stereo-typical. Not like TV Italians...I'm talking the family types. Growing their zucchini, tomatoes, figs and grapes. Canning sauce and making wine. They care so much for their children. No matter what...they are loved. Sure, denial is a river in Egypt, but so what! Mangia! Have a plate of macaroni.

Anyway, the girls figure out which bleach will bring Pherrin's hair back up to a light brown. I get my foils and cut. Christina irons my hair with a straightener.
Now, my daughters flat-iron all the time. They always want to do my hair, but I never let them. I can't believe how long it looks straightened out.

So, back tomorrow for the black-dye removal process. I can't wait!
Oh, I don't think I blogged about Kate's platinum blonde with turquoise underneath dye job last month. She was so funny. It looked really awesome...kinda suit her personality...she asks, "Ma, do you want me to dye my hair back for my senior portraits?" "I don't care, Kate. Maybe you want to remember yourself for all time with platinum blonde and turquoise hair. I kinda like it" She dyed it back.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

"denial is a river in Egypt"

Ha!

Maria said...

I think finding a stylist who knows your hair and how it lays and works is a godsend.

I have one. She is an obese black woman who has a shop in one of the most dangerous areas of the city, but I would never think of going anywhere else. She KNOWS my hair and makes it behave!

Blog Archive