21.10.07

Rummage


Its rummage season.

I've been entertaining myself the past few weekends by visiting the myriad of church basement rummage sales and "estate sales" (fancy name for garage sales around here)

Princeton Methodist had an overpriced sparse offering, but I did snag a recently handmade quilt. I took it home and washed it and hung it outside in the sunshine to dry. Now, it adorns the marriage bed - along with the white eyelet pillow shams and matching eyelet drapes. I've been running along the lines of Shabby Chic lately. Picked up 6 lamps, various odd pieces of antiquity. I've a new shade of green to work with. Its sort of an jewel toned dark olive, an olive-green depression glass.
Lots of hobnail milk glass, a large vase, lamp and clear hobnail glass candy dish with milk bled into the rim and handles. There is just so much stuff - and good stuff...! Folks are emptying out Granny's basements.

What's the deal with these faux Shabby Chic emporiums? Way too much white - looks like a lab - sofas slipcovered in white, furniture painted white, nothing shabby about it!..enough already.
Its nothing like the original Rachel Ashwell idea. Abomination!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Our house is about as shabby chic as you can get and it is um....totally authentic.

Hand me downs, rummage sales and a little bit of both of us combined with several cousins, aunties and grandmothers.

It works.

Blog Archive