6.11.07

brainwashing

Is it age or years of mind altering substance abuse killing my short term memory?
I can't stand it. I think of something, put something down and in an instant its gone.
No recollection. I stand there dumb-founded, racking my brain until it hurts.

Perhaps I just stay inside too much. I work from home - need to take care of the home, the kids the pets. I have a food philosophy only consuming non-processed foods. This take a lot of time and planning. The days wander by - turning into weeks and months in a blink of an eye.

The only outside adventures seem to involve driving my kids around, doing errands, attending meetings. Sure I visit the odd rummage sale and head into the city for work meetings a few times a month, but there really isn't much leisure time for me.

I suppose I could carve out time, but I'm too exhausted and my mind is spent. I need a good 'brain-washing' my memory card is full. I have a million projects left undone. Half refinished furniture, sewing projects, art at the easel waiting for mats and frames, rooms that need painting - gardens need tending, plants that need potting. The list goes on and on.

I've always been an idea person...bad follow through. I need staff. An assistant to remember my thoughts and where I've left my purse. I have to get my shit together. Too many balls in the air.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I am having the same problem, Ang. Forgetfulness. I blame it on the changes. Hormones. Deficiencies. Moment to moment. Scary sometimes. Yesterday, I told myself 20 times to plug in the cell phone and each time, once out of the room, it was onto something else. It was a real test to try to focus on one task at a time, so great is the pull into whatever is in my direct view. Try jotting down notes. Also try just finishing ONE thing. I think it leads to the next thing.

Angelissima said...

Yes, I do much better after making a list...except for one thing...I lose the list or forget there even WAS a list to begin with.

Mush. Its all turned to mush.

Maria said...

I actually walked into a Walgreens today and forgot what I was in there for. I had gotten sidetracked by the card section and realized that I needed to go pick up....WHAT? I could NOT remember what I had gone in there for.

I left the store and finally remembered when I picked Liv up from school and she said, "Did you remember to buy more baggies for my lunch?"

Uh...

Rambler said...

I need an assistant too, my cats are lousy at reminding me about all the things I have to do!

Gina said...

Chris and I work with this guy who is mentally challanged. Can't tell you his birthday or the day of the week or month. Can't read or tell time. Still, he reminds us of EVERYTHING we would naturally forget about. " Did you check the oil? Do you need gas? Is today payday? Did you order water? Do you have your keys? Where is his walker? Did you change Dickie?"

Everything. The man remembers EVERYTHING. It's uncanny. He's a Godsend, a treasure and we love him. Even if he forgot everything.

Angelissima said...

I need me one of those!

WH said...

Hi Angelissima. Yep--you found me out. I am indeed Eric Clapton. Of course, in response to this posting of yours, I was going to say how I walk from one room to another and forget why I started the journey, so maybe ... I work at home too--a ghostwriter--and I have trouble with time management. You have a great blog, btw. Anyway, take care. Now how do I sign? Billy? Newsdiver? (I have two blogs with two different purposes--one literary, the other current events, but Blogger won't let me have two monikers.) I'm going schizo--both of me. See--the pressure gets to me too. Mmmmm, I've got the perfect signature. ~Eric.

WH said...

Hi Angelissima. Great blog, btw, and yes, I am indeed Eric Clapton. Of course, I was about to say that I can't walk from one room to another and have some brain issues as you discuss in your post, so ... Anyway, I have two blogs, one on contemporary issues, the more literary since I'm a writer. I wish Blogger could give me two different monikers. Ah well. Anyway, how should I sign this post? Billy? Newsdiver? I'm getting schizo--both of me. I've got it! ~Eric

WH said...

oops, Sorry--didn't see that comments need approval. I just sent a bunch, thinking my PC was messing up. My apologies. Eric.

Blog Archive