12.11.07

The Review


The Review. The first review I've had in at least 2 years.
Now, I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I rarely make mistakes at work. In fact it is probably the only area of my life that I feel confident about. Its definitely the longest position I've held (that sounds weird) in my life (going on 5 years).
The job suits me - and thats saying a lot.


So, of course when my review appointment rolls around, I'm happy, thinking yay! more compliments for me! Nope. Not this time Angikins. Apparently the manager (without any viable managerial skills) decides to offer me up to the Gods on ONE complaint. ONE. In five years, I've had ONE (whacky) customer complain about me.

My wanna-be manager feels he should give me the lowest possible scores on several key metrics on my review - because last week, one complaint came in about me. We had words. He ended up stuttering like Ralph Cramden when I was through with him.

It goes without saying I immediately contacted the HR manager. Apparently, he didn't follow any sort of protocol for this review - here are my comments:

Id like to take this opportunity to comment on my performance review. My mid-year goals were not assessed individually as required above. My review is unfairly focused on an isolated incident rather than the entirety of my contribution to (company).

The one incident was my response to an agitated (customer). I had explained the situation before it escalated with several emails to the (deparment) giving them a heads-up on what had transpired. I had no response or indication from (manager) of a serious problem until it appeared on my review.

As the issue in question is isolated in nature, I feel the appropriate first step should have been to talk things out. An immediate dialog should have taken place when this incident first came to light. Communication between manager and associate, especially when there is a problem, is an invaluable opportunity for reflection and growth. We should have been able to dissect, discuss and resolve this issue discreetly rather than an emotional 11th hour ambush during my review. These scores leave an indelible stain on my reputation within the company, and are not indicative of my all-around performance.

(managers)'s scores came to me as a shock and hurtful surprise. It is my hope that (manager) will consider adjusting his evaluation. I give my all to (company) on a daily basis. Many of my tasks involve work beyond the scope of the (department).


I am fairly certain (manager) is not familiar with the quantity and quality of my projects outside his sphere.

(manager)'s tone in this statement, "This review has to also serve as a final warning. If something similar were to happen in the future I would result in serious consequences" is threatening and erroneous in nature and comes to me without previous discussion or warning.


What do you think? Too sappy? Too emotionally charged? Okay? Passion is part of the package. I'm human...Am I allowed to make one mistake? Apparently not. Alright, back to walking on water then turning it into whine....
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Naw. I say nail the bastard.

Gina said...

From what you've written it is my impression, Ang, that you were shafted, short changed and sucker punched by a manager whose perspective is either still clouded by the embarrassment recent complaint, and/or lacks the insight, knowledge and experience required to see the whole picture from every possible angle prior to making sweeping judgments about your performance and more critically, allowing this one incident to overshadow your review. You certainly don't want any bogus remarks showing up on your permanent record.

There IS a permanent record out there somewhere, right?

I'd file a defamation suit on him, Ang. Crack down on that....

kidding, Ang. Don't take it to heart. If you ask around, the man probably has little experience doing these yearly evals. He has little or no knowledge perataining to resolving issues in the workplace. He was probably feeling really powerful as he wrote those words and had NO IDEA who he was dealing with. NO DOUBT he was VERY upset when he got home that night.
"Final warning"...probably heard his mother's voice as he penned the words.

Go easy with him, Ang.

Blog Archive