14.11.07

hoist on his own petard!


Bernie, in his infinite wisdom has been an invaluable editor for my utter disgust over this 'review' situation.

Here are my favorite few sentances that unfortunately ended up on the cutting room floor...

"His reluctance to manage effectively as well as his cowardly method of "punishment" for an isolated incident is downright draconian. His highly arrogant refusal communicate reasonably is just as inappropriate as any gaffe on my part."

Its tough walking the line of not going completely apeshit! I heard back from the HR manager, she was unable to convince him to change his scores. I am forced to take this over her head now. Why don't they all just obey me? They would be all be so much happier.
:-)

5 comments:

Gina said...

Hmmm....you know, in the grand scope of things these reviews can really be a pain in the butt for everyone involved. Unless there is a pay increase involved, i really consider them a waste of time. I used to have to do about 60 yearly evals and the people receiving them really counted on getting the highest scores possible in all areas. Every once in a while some offended soul would confront me and I'd have to explain that the tool they gave me only allowed for 3 marks...U S O. How could my review reflect "outstanding" shining work, unless they had "satisfactory" in some areas? Some people really took it to heart. I wanted to take them to dinner or something to ease the pain. Gee whiz. I never took these things too seriously. It's subjective!! I wound up having to create a 'Super Outstanding, 'beyond the line of duty' mark for things I thought really should be limited to just that. Anyway, you have to consider your source and your time. Your obviously intelligent and articulate addendum to the review should be enough to reflect your concerns and that you have made your point. Hopefully he will see it as an opportunity for personal growth. Without prior warnings to corroborate his 'final warning', that remark really should come off the record. It's a smear on your PR. Besides, Ang, anyone who would use ONE incident against you that way, and without sandwiching it between all of the...rave reviews, needs alittle help with these reviews.

At least now you know he's a sconce.

Gina said...

i am too tired to look up PETARD.

retard. leotard. can't be too good if he getting hoisted into it.

splain.

Angelissima said...

Yes, I see your point completely, G.
There are 5 grades on ours,
EXCEEDS ALL EXPECTATIONS
EXCEEDS SOME EXPECTATIONS
MEETS EXPECTATIONS
MEETS SOME BUT NOT ALL EXPECTATIONS
DOES NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS

I'm not looking for exceeds all the time (although with my "other" manager a REAL manager who took me under his wing and trained me gave me lots of exceeds...but thats neither here nor there...just makes me feel good to say!)

I just want him to push up the "does not meet expectations" on blanket topics like "Has High Standards" "Is Quality Orientated"
"Customer Focused" I mean, thats just wrong. Give me a does not meet all expectations...not NEVER meets expectations, you know?

Then on the overall he makes Does Not Meet all expectations when I have like 15 Meets expectations and those three bad ones.

Yeah, I know...hes an ass and anyone who looks at that review will know it.

I guess the Sicilian factor is taking over!

Angelissima said...

A petard was a medieval small bomb used to blow up gates and walls when breaching fortifications.
The word remains in modern usage in the phrase to be hoist by one's own petard, which means "to be harmed by one's own plan to harm someone else" or "to fall in one's own trap", literally implying that one could be lifted up (hoisted, or blown upward) by one's own bomb.

Brought to you by Wikipedia!

I love that phrase.

Gina said...

oh that's funny, Ang. My Webster's Dictionary defines Petard as Intestinal Gas...I wasn't sure how that fit in with being hoisted in it but it was funny to me, as most references to gas makes me laugh.

I am simple that way.

Blog Archive