STOP THE WORLD - I WANT TO GET OFF is a thought-provoking tale about the fleeting nature of worldly success. The hero of the show, Littlechap, attempts to apply some braking effect on his world before it spins out of control.
Sense of entitlement. I can't take it anymore. My daughter just left to go back to college, but not after turning our house and its inhabitants upside down. I do believe I spied the dog and cat running for cover. Gigi was crying as John matter-of-fact-ly remineded her, "I told you, Genevieve, Don't listen to anything Pherrin says." Pherrin, coaxed the unsuspecting Gigi into her room, locked the door and convinced her, while Kate banged on the door - "LET ME IN! Gigi! Don't listen to her! - Pherrin! Open the door!" to switch bedrooms with her.
I am outside, enjoying the glorious weather. Putting my garden to bed, moving the mums to their hibernation spots and planting bulbs for spring. I had Bernie vacuum the leaves away from the fences and and the roses beds.
Suddenly, Gigi runs out...eyes red, tears streaming down her cheeks with a pathetically hopeless expression ..."What happened!" I ask. "Pherrin is cursing at me and I think she is going to KILL ME!" This happens everytime. Pherrin becomes frustrated and Gigi, the weakest link, feels the brunt of her rage. Apparently, the room rearranging wasn't going as smoothly as planned.
Pherrin insisted when we moved into this house that since she was the oldest she deserved to have the biggest of the remaining 4 bedrooms. FINE. She turned it into what I like to call, "The Tahitian Sunset Room". The walls are cantaloupe. One wall is awash with a sunset mural of coordinating oranges and black shadowed palms.
She decided while on this trip home she would like to move into a smaller room, since she isn't here all that much anymore. uhh huuuhhh...We know the real reason is because The Tahitian Sunset Room is the preferred destination of our sleep-over guests. She doesn't much care for the displacement. Genevieve, being the most maliable of the bunch was easily convinced that this was a truly wonderful gift - the giant bedroom of her big sister! The coveted Tahitian Sunset Room! Little did she know the sunset was moving across the hall with big Sis. Pherrin un-tacked the mural and rearranged it on the largest wall in Gigi's room. The TSR was left with a bare wall of sizing. No cantaloupe paint.
"This was a bad idea! Why did I let her talk me into it!" She sobbed. "I want my old room back!!!" No. "Can I paint the new room YELLOW!!!??" (her old room was painted a cheerful shade of yellow)...ugh no. We decided to paint the bare wall turquoise, as turquoise is the opposite of orange and therefore, complimentary. She's happy with this idea...and the promises of coordinating throw pillows and other such necessary "cool" accessories important in the life of a 9-year-old.
I say Gigi gets the last laugh.



4 comments:
Sounds like everyone's happy in the end. I'm still sleepin' in the Tahitian banana room!
She also convinced Gigi to leave the white wicker in the room! Now Gigi is stuck with the second-hand hotel furniture.
I should go out and buy her a new bedroom. The coolest bedroom any 9 year old ever had. A Monkey Motif resplendent with fuzzy neon shag covered accouterments. Whaddya say?
I hear IKEA calling my name...wanna go?!? We can pull it together while she is in school...are you off on Wednesday? She stays after until 4pm for a rec sports thing.
Poor little deer. She isn't happy right now. I think she is more confused than anything.
Stopping the world does sound like a great idea sometimes.
Monkeys and shag rug accouterments? I'd have to object.
HOW BOUT THIS WEEKEND?
Post a Comment