1.12.07

Quotes from "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen (1902)


* A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.
* Cherish your visions. Cherish your ideals. Cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts, for out of them will grow all delightful conditions, all heavenly environment, of these, if you but remain true to them your world will at last be built.
* The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors, that which it loves, and also that which it fears. It reaches the height of its cherished aspirations. It falls to the level of its unchastened desires - and circumstances are the means by which the soul receives its own.
* Every action and feeling is preceded by a thought.
* Right thinking begins with the words we say to ourselves.
* If anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Proverbs 23:7


At the turn of the century James Allen in his treatise As A Man Thinketh set forth the attached precept. It is diametrically opposed to those who would enslave us with the thought that we are a product of society. It is the contemporary "struggle for men's minds" that is daily swirling about us. We have turned to the Rorschach test to illustrate Allen's precept. Dr. Rorschach has demonstrated that what we perceive in an ink blot reflects what we are. Each of us determines his own destiny. We can either program our own mind or it will be programmed by other people. There are present in our country those who, for the sake of power, want a society with no vitality. Let others fill our minds with obscenities, vulgarities, profanities, doubts, fears and despair and they will destroy the freest, healthiest and most progressive society the world has seen.

I remember seeing this book around my house as a kid. Later I found out that its been used by many sales people and home-based business folk as inspirational text.
My parents sold Amway back in the day....

Anyway, its good stuff to think about.

4 comments:

Gina said...

What I've been tryin' to say all along. Ang, you ARE the most beautiful and intelligent woman in Hillsborough! and i.... i AM a ballerina! come to my recital. :)

ps. which one of the desperate housewives is most like you?

Maria said...

Have you ever taken a rorschach test? I used to give them with regularity and have found a few problems with them.

But, yes...attitude can move a mountain.

Angelissima said...

Gina Ballerina! When is your recital?

Nope, Maria never took the test.
I didn't write that text either.
Plagiarism is my middle name.

Angelissima said...

ohh Desperate Housewives....
never watched the show! I hear its a real crowd pleaser.

I only watch The McDreamy Show (Grey's Anatomy) on a regular basis.
and...well, the Antiques Roadshow and Law & Order (original, SVU and my favorite, CI with Vincent D'Ofrio or whatever it is. I'm not partial to Chris Noth (ya know, BIG)

GA's getting kinda boring. Like, I've missed 3 weeks and nothing has changed.

Blog Archive