Haven't been here for awhile it seems. I've been detoxing myself from Cymbalta.
This drug should be banned...forever. I started taking it about a year ago. I starting wondering why I had such a rapid weight gain, severe daytime sleepiness followed by days of insomnia, feeling dead inside, no more inspiration, diminished interest in sex.
I started feeling like the life was being sucked out of me. My psych decided to put me on an upper to combat the sleepiness. WTF? Luckily, my friendly neighborhood pharmacist had a little chat with me about what was going on. I'm taking drugs to calm me down, bring me up, stabilize my moods and now, a controlled upper? Something is wrong with this picture.
I agreed. I did a bit of research on cymbalta side effects. I thought I was having night sweats from some sort of hormonal change...nope, cymbalta. dizziness and diminished vision? you guessed it! The list goes on and on.
I did a bit more research on how to successfully detox myself from it. Its not a drug you can just not take anymore. Over the past few weeks, I slowly lowered my dosage.
Then, when it came time to go cold turkey, all hell broke loose.
Severe body aches,(Bernie asked me to describe the aches, stabbing, throbbing, constant? No. Its like when you tense up all of the muscles in your body, then let go...ya know? But its like, you don't let go. You can't let go). dizziness, brain zaps, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, sleepiness (I'm talking not being able to get out of bed, except to puke or poop). Awful moods, terribly sarcastic and cynical , downright MEAN to my kids and husband. I made sure I took a shower daily. It helped with the body aches and frankly, I stank. I drank as much water as I could keep down. Soup. Tea. Nothing solid.
I wore my hair in braids to keep it out of the way..when, you know. Sure my kids had a great time laughing at my braids, "Hey Ma, where's your wooden shoes?" Another reason for the braids: if you're in bed with long hair for any extended period of time, the back of it gets all mangled into a tangled ball. Sex hair without the sex. One good thing is I also detoxed myself from coffee and sugar while I was at it.
Anyone who knows me knows that if you look up "coffee" in the dictionary, you'd see my photo right there next to Juan Valdez. (side bar: Juan Valdez takes on Starbucks... I was under the mistaken impression that JV was a fictional character...NOT SO!)Folks were completely SHOCKED to hear I stopped drinking coffee. I'm a certifiable tea-totaler now!
Its been about a week. Yesterday I felt pretty good. I got out of bed for a good while, entertained company even! I feel even better today, body aches gone and fewer brain-zaps. I'm still slightly angry - kinda snappy for no good reason. Losing my patience. Interrogating people.
So, I'm going to my GP tomorrow. I'm getting a referral for a new psych doc.
Hey, good things! I've not eaten meat in a week and feel pretty good internally. I noticed something about my eating habits. Even though I felt like crap, as soon as I had a argument or annoying situation come up with one of my daughters, I automatically reached for food to sooth me, however, I couldn't eat it...it was a battle of mind over matter.
So, all and all - I'd say it was worth it. I know I need to be on "something". My moods are insane. I like my moods - when I hit the clarity of extreme creativity...but hate the moods when I get cynical and self-loathing. Anytime I've gone off the meds, I self-medicate and get myself into trouble. Its just not worth the risk.
That's it for now.
Happy New Year!



4 comments:
My doctor put me in cymbalta because I was having such severe pain in my feet from sciatica. It was supposed to help. It didn't. It DID make me feel like I wanted to go to bed at 7 every night.
I was only on it a month, so my detox was not too bad.
I'm glad you are doing better.
Wow Ang. It sounds like you went through a serious withdrawl there! I am glad you decided to come off of that medication. Just last night I was watching a commercial for it and like most of those medication ads, they go on about possible side effects, but never anything about the brain zaps.
I remember coming off of Zoloft or Lexapro and feeling a certain twitch now and then. It's also one of those PMS symptoms. Anyway I am glad that you are coming around. I much prefer to be moody than vague and lifeless. I would try something natural on an as needed basis. Valerian root and camomile are good ones. Valerian will help you get a good night's rest. Talk soon. Glad you are back!
oy! Lexapro is probably the worst, from what I gather.
yeah, those mind zaps are strange. Just when you are trying to relax. Zap. Like someone's touched your brain with an electrode. Just short of seizure activity. Petite mal maybe...seriously. I remember yawning excessively both with Zoloft and Lexapro, something common to the pre seizure petit mal as i read somewhere.
Post a Comment