
Conversation is the verbalization of concepts involving abstractions and concrete objects which make up the world we live in.
The lively art of conversation is all but dead. The masses are relegated to a silent majority of text-ing (texting, not a word...yet) emailing, blogging automatons.
With the exception of talking to yourself. Not long ago, if you noticed someone talking to themselves, you'd think they were touched in the head. You'd try to avoid making eye contact with that person and scoot over to the opposite side of the walkway.
Enter Bluetooth (named for Harald Bluetooth, google it!). Suddenly, carrying on conversations with yourself is acceptable form. Discussing the pros and cons of Ben and Jerry's latest ice cream flavor in front of the frozen foods case or hurling expletives accompanied by questionable hand gestures into the air at seemingly no one should not be given a second look.
At least they're talking. Brain/mouth engagement.
I'll preface all of this by saying, "Yes, the advent of communications technology is a wonderful means of enlightening the great unwashed to new levels of education, compassion and brotherhood. Thank you Al Gore, you are a Great Person!" There is endless cool on the net, that goes unnoticed. Check out Level10 In-Site Blog.
What bothers me is the false sense of urgency created by all of our new "connectivity" The communication revolution has become the apex of everything. At no other time in history have so many people had so many opportunities to say so little.
At least, via talk-talk. Blogging does allow its readers to delve deeper into the souls of its authors, much more, under certain circumstances than the face-to-face would reveal.
Although, its been my experience that people who share much via the net would more than likely share just as much in person given the chance (with someone who cares enough to listen, see above illustration).
I don't know how to text. I'd go crazy if I had to deal with text-ing all the time. I don't like having my cell phone on my person. I happen to enjoy my personal boundaries. Sure, in case of emergency - the 'devices' are a boon, don't get me wrong. I just so happen to enjoy my privacy, not a crime!
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Next thing you know we'll all be micro-chipped and traceable via GPS units.



6 comments:
Hmmm....disagree. I am pretty open and honest on my blog and in person, I am told that I am aloof and quiet. (Actually, someone once said that I just plain looked "snooty.")
I have never shared with my neighbors that I have peed myself in public. Yet, my blog readers know it all, probably because I can sit pretty under the veil of anonymous obscurity.
True. That's another aspect - internet muscles I like to call them.
I'd like to think you'd be open with someone you trust - you did tell bing the pee story, right?
Its the listener part...you've got a captive audience online.
You're a writer. This is a perfect outlet for expression and feedback.
Makes sense to me.
You are natural conversationalist Ang. I can understand how texting wouldn't be your bag. I hate it. I don't get why anyone would want to take the time to type out messages on a tiny little keyboard. So much of what is said, from what I have seen, is really meaningless. A lot of flirting. I don't enjoy flirting. As my mom says, never learned how to bat my eyelashes, so this form of text flirting is just painful and so time consuming. Frankly, when a guy started leaving me these messages, It seemed lame. Maybe it meant more to him. A step in the process before you actually call the girl. It was a turn off for me. It was nice when I found myself somewhere where there was no one I knew, but overall, when it continued on and on, I lost interest. I guess we are old school when it comes to this newfangled technology. My boss is 42 and is a conversationalist like you, quick with the come backs and a natural texter. Guess our natural tendency's come out with all of these mediums. Talker's talk, texter's text and writer's cramp.
Writers Cramp! Good one!
Your boss is an all around go-getter, you know? Her tenancies toward all methods of communication are universal. She's got that natural gift.
You are a genuinely caring person Gina, concerned with the welfare of others unconditionally.
Of course you're better with the face-to-face. You can talk to complete strangers with abandon.
I'm quick with the come-back - raised that way. Sarcasm and witty banter. Kill or be killed! Nanny used to say, "Oh Ang, you slay me!"
Johnny G. called me Big Mouth for the longest time. I couldn't shut-off the comments. Its taken me years to learn to hold my tounge, but I still let the shit fly...you know me. And on the flip-side charm the birds out of the trees.
Knowing Bernie has been a blessing in that department. The man rarely says a coarse word. Complete Gentleman. He says what he means and is never mean when he says it.
that's a comfort, as I am sure that you can see through BS, blindfolded. Like most, you require directness and honesty, in order to avoid the misunderstandings in communication which are only complicated by deceit and sarcasm,only MORESO!
yeah man.
Post a Comment