7.2.08

The Online Confessional

Blogging isn't a necessity for all walks of life especially for we of a certain age. But for some of us(the cusp of baby-boomer and Gen Xers)who are young at heart, tech savvy and extrovert wanna-bes,its the perfect vehicle to suss out our collective souls.

Pure extroverts have no need what-so-ever for this sort of public display. A few years ago when I starting working for Meetup I met your garden variety loud-mouth BENNY (what we beach-people call the vacationers from B-ayonne/E-lizabeth/N-ewark/N-ew Y-ork) in a bar down in Point. After trying to explain what Meetup is...he looks at me with this smug expression and says, "What? So, this website is for losers who have no friends?"

Of course, this was before MySpace and Facebook came on the scene. Social networking was still in its infancy and absolutely unknown to the Hoi Poli

Flash to now: Your blog is a natural extension to your online persona. It replaces the first date. You're attracted to someone via the profile and reading the blog is that getting-to-know-you cup of coffee.

Is it justification we're looking for? Creating one's destiny? Our own personal BRAND?

Lets face it, oh cusp of the baby-boomer and Gen X nation....
We're the tipping point.

If you listen to the pundits, the younger (under 40), educated and tech savvy support Obama. The older (over 50), blue collar union supporters (old skool dems) throw their support behind Hillary. (yes, I am pointedly avoiding the obvious African-American and female stereo-types)

Obama raised 4 million dollars yesterday...online. Hillary had to cough it up from her own bank account.

We live in historic, exciting times!
Technology is Tangible -
The Individual is Iconic.

Carry on.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Obama is speaking in Omaha today. Liv is going after school to hear him with a friend and her parents. I had to skip it because my back is acting up.

I'm just excited about it, though. Here in solid Republican Nebraska, we NEVER get a Democratic candidate who bothers to stop and speak.

And now, my daughter has heard both Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama twice. I told her that we live in interesting times...

Gina said...

hey...it's Dan the man!

now what was that...
technology is plastic, and we are iconoclastic?

Angelissima said...

YES! perfect analogy
I took this pic of Dan after he told me the light bulb duct taped to his helmet was his "Idea Hat".

AWESOME!

Blog Archive