8.7.08

Free to be...




This morning, I had the (cough)pleasure of accompanying my dear Bernie on his quest for a replacement driver's license. I couldn't bear the blank look of despair on the faces of the employees workin' for the weekend. Its during these times I remember to be grateful for my life and work.

For the last seven years or so, I've not worked in a traditional 'office space' scenario. For a few years I worked for a friend's law practice and for the past five years I've been employed by Meetup.com.

Meetup is a truly different scene. We 'self-organize'. Case in point, I don't think I've even been told what to do other than during the first week of my employment. My work has evolved mostly on its own speed, my creating projects for myself, some successful some not. Its about stretching - what do you think would be the best thing you could do for the company you work and the clients/customers or in our case members for? Or better yet, do you care about your job and the work you are doing? Those of us who stick around Meetup long enough do.
Its something we call being "meetuppy". Its not for everyone. It takes a certain amount of chutzpah to walk the walk.

I feel doubly accountable for myself as I work from home for a company that allows their employees to 'self-organize'. Its about results. Prodigious results. I love the freedom to create or be called on to create; not be told - sort of given a seed.

I love being able to discuss the pros and cons with the higher ups and not feel threatened. I love being able to bring my laptop outside and sit by the pool while I write. I got a good thing going on and I am grateful.

Sometimes we say we're bound by emotional handcuffs at Meetup. Those of us who've been around a while really care about what's next for the company. We are vocal when we don't like something. We are joyous when it all comes together. We work really hard. Everyone does. Even me, poolside in Jersey.

1 comment:

abd al-Hadi said...

I'm feeling meetuppy today

Blog Archive