20.7.08

mr. mojo rising...


So, last night John and I drove home together in Pherrin's cabrio (see left). It was 100 or so degrees at 8pm - the cabrio has no air conditioning so of course we drove with the top down. John decided the perfect soundtrack was "The Doors". So here we are driving west on 37 directly into the sun. THE SUN WAS HUGE. The setting sun was a literal fireball. I could barely focus on the road and John was wearing a pair of Pherrin's giant red sunglasses. We must have been quite the sight Mom and Son wearing giant sunglasses, in a convertible cabrio with The Doors blaring out from all sides.
LA WOMAN...YOUR MY WOMAN...screaming down Route 37 West.

We get to the parkway entrance and the toll collector (I lost my easypass!) is yelling, "BENNYS GO HOME!" (see previous posts...probably from last summer...for an explanation of what a BENNY is) "GAWD! I AM SO SICK OF YOU PEOPLE!" He looks down at me and says, "So, how YOU doin'" "Geez you must be sick of them by now" I replied. "Hell yah, you have a nice day now" He says as he hands me my 15c change.
How he knew John and I weren't BENNYS (well, now technically, I am one since we moved above the Raritan River) I'm not sure, but I suppose we had LOCAL written all over us. The beat up VW with Surf Taco stickers all over it containing some middle aged hippie and her weirdo son wearing red sunglasses blaring THE DOORS out from all sides...couldn't be a BENNY?

I guess this is a good thing.

3 comments:

Gina said...

SO Ang. I went there, Surf Taco on Sunday. The surf tacos are Z BEST since Rubios fish tacos in San Diego. I asked the guy about the buisiness and he said it was a family own chain. 4 stores so far. Anyway, he also told me that his brother had gone to the west coast to start a sub shop since they have NO IDEA about subs out there. They call them Heros. Submarines. But they don't have vinegar and oil or oregano....Anyuway, he had a death in the family and was forced to come back here, so he decided to bring something back from the west coast...Tacos!

Bernie said...

Lost the ezpass? I hope its in the minivan. BTW that sounds like a lot of fun!

Maria said...

I was driving home a few nights ago and Don't Fear The Reaper came on.....I had that thing ramped up so high that I think my car was pulsating.

Blog Archive