Check out Dine for America
A fund-raiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina
taking place on October 5, 2005
Its been an active week for me. The most interesting highlight for me was my reconciliation and return to the ranks of my Roman Catholic
Parish, The Church of St. William the Abbot
I've been searching again for a religious community. I was raised a Roman Catholic, not by choice. I did not force my children into the Catholic catechism, however, I did bring them to mass on the occassional Sunday, and all religious observances (aka: Holy Days of Obligation). I'm really surprised that Easter isn't on that list, as Easter is the start of the Roman Catholic calendar year.
Well my son, John, has always had an interest in coming to mass. All of his friends made their
First Holy Communion at the age of 7 (aka: The Age of Reason) I'm not sure that all seven year olds fully understand what they are doing.
I decided to allow my children to decide on their own belief. John now at the age of 13 has decided that he would like to receive his sacrements of First Holy Communion and Confirmation
I had real problems with the religious instructors in the past because I didnt want to follow the rules of the catechism...however...due to the "mass" exodus of parishioners, the Church has softened.
I joined St. William naming my own condition of their allowing my son to receive his sacrements.
(I also signed Genevieve up, but she is more concerned with the social aspect of being able to have a First Communion like all of her other friends in second grade).
Bernie, who was not raised with any sort of formal religious affiliation, agreed to come along and meet with Fr. McCarron. I like Fr. McCarron. He's a slight Jersey City Irishman, with a brilliant sense of humor...not at all like Monsignor Kelty, who was the former pastor and my boss. (I was the first parish secretary....and he fired me....futher fueling my bad vibes about church).
We arrive for a meeting with Father McCarron. He tells us not to worry about a thing, he will "strong-arm" the director of religious education into allowing John to receive all of his sacrements. He also asked us about having our marriage blessed. Since Bernie was a widower, hes in the clear for marriage, however, I need an annullment. Father McCarron offered to make this as painless as possible for me...he'd make a few calls and have my ex "knocked off".
Okay, this is not your run of the mill Catholic Priest...I like him. Bernie explained his belief system, and most interestingly, Fr (he is also a Ph D) explained the RC church's position on evolution. I was surprised to hear that belief in the Adam and Eve thing was something only the Protestants insist upon. (hehe...blame the Protestants! Keep that holy war going!)
Who knew the RC church has allowed the scientific theories of evolution to be considered as truth? I didn't.
Sure, the RC church as a lot of Dogma
specific laws and may seem a little nutty, but most religions have their own specific nuttiness, I've found.
Something about the death of John Paul II and the focus of his life and the history of the Roman Catholic Church restored my interest. The rich history and mystery intrigues me.
Bernie feels its important for the children to have a belief, even though he doesnt feel comfortable with it for himself. I participated in much therapy to heal my bad feelings about Monsignor Kelty...and my anger transferrance to the Holy See.
I spent the past year visiting lots of denominations. I felt that old Catholic Guilt creeping in.
But, upon further exploration, I've found much softening of the hard line.
I think I can mend my fence and be a good Catholic. Sure. Thats easy to say now that I'm married and settled and sober....its easy not to be a raging sinner now.
One point that I find very interesting and almost comforting is that living within the rules of certain morality, boundries or what have you, do provide a new freedom. You don't have to do things that hurt your soul...



No comments:
Post a Comment