25.2.08

Ganz Gets Over

I still just don't "get" Facebook. I have a Facebook account, mostly because everyone in our office has one and its supposed to be a cool thing to do.

I just can't stand it. At first it seems fun; the silly personality tests, movie/movie likes and dislikes, garden to grow, charities to support. They have these odd "virtual" gifts to send out to your friends. This is actually my favorite Facebook activity, sending borderline creepy "gifts" to my "friends". Last week I sent just about everyone a pair of tube socks. Why? I don't know. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The gift selection is as goofy as all get out.
Like, why would you send half a lime or a raccoon to someone? Is there a deeper meaning? Lime, yes maybe, to go with your virtual shot-glass and bottle of Tecate; but a raccoon? Masked garbage can thief? Killer of baby ducks and chicks?
I love them, I think they are adorable...but....as a gift?
Oh well.

Maybe the artists 7-year-old daughter has a raccoon Webkinz.
What is a Webkinz you ask? Its a stuffed animal, ala beanie babies. It is accompied by a code. Log on to the Webkinz World website, create your own personal account and everytime you buy a Webkinz you get more little creatures in you Webkinz World or what ever it is.

When they first arrived on the scene it was a cool idea, interactive stuffed animals. I won't bore you with the details...but is borderline mania at this point.

They started out as a cute, affordable toy. Now, since they've made such a splash on the tween-scene the prices have been (excuse the expression) jacked up to about $20 each!

PLUS, get this...the retailers RATION how many you can buy in one day.
One character, per family, per day. What is this? Reminds me of gas rationing in the 70's.

What a world!

No comments:

Blog Archive