I said it before I could think. I hate when I do that, especially to the kids. At 6:00 in the AM right after I stumble out of bed and before coffee or even a glass of water -- Gigi is asking me anxiously, "What am I going to wear! I can't find a green shirt! I wore my new one on Saturday...is it clean?"
"NO!" "Geez, what do you care? YOU'RE NOT EVEN IRISH!" There it was, over the tongue and through my lips. I regretted it as soon as I heard myself say it.
Her sweet face fell. All the joy ran out of her big brown eyes. (She's of French/Belgian/German descent) She wants to be like us in the worst way, to belong to our special clan.
"But that's okay!" I quickly recovered..."EVERYONE IS IRISH ON ST. PATRICK'S DAY!"
She brightened up and we matched her several shades of green - green ribbons for her ponytail, shamrock stickers on her cheeks. She shone as brightly as any lassie from the Emerald Isle.
Crap. See, I could never understand or get behind that whole, "Everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day" routine. Why? I don't want to be French on Bastille Day or march in the Puerto Rican Day parade. I've got my ancestral pride and get all misty when I hear "Danny Boy" just as any respectable McHalf should.
But what I don't get is this: Why would anyone go out of their way to be IRISH?
Most of us are alcoholic dreamers. Sure, we've got our writers and amazing musicians, but come on already with the Irish-wanna-bes. Why all the dang hype?
Later this afternoon, Gigi comes home wearing a necklace of green plastic beads. "Where did you get that?" I asked skeptically. "From School. Hey, Ma, is St. Patrick's Day a national holiday?"
"NO! absolutely not" and left it at that.
(truth be told, I TiVO'ed the parade...I can't wait to watch all 6 hours of it later)



5 comments:
That's Okay, Ang. Maybe you were just feeling blue. Gigi is just so full of enthusiasm and you just needed some time to get into the spirit of a shared holiday.
I am only a McEighth.
Ha..yeah. I was kinda blue...
Lots of stress these days...LOTS.
Unending!
wait!
I thought you were a McQuarter!
Isn't yer sainted Mother a McHalfie?
Well, even a McEighth can march and be proud...
Erin Go Bragh!
And really? Who has a lot of green clothes? I mean...I have maybe two green shirts and they make me look pasty and fat. But, did I wear one of them? Yeah.
Liv wore green on St. Patrick's Day. She is only half Irish, has a curious mix of Irish/American Indian. So, she has deep brown eyes, skin that tans beautifully, and a dreamer's heart.
Post a Comment