20.4.08

The Neopolitan "Flip Pot"


Don't adjust your V-Hold...its supposed to look this way (upside down).
Along with my Frank-Lloyd-Wright-esque leaded glass window and my red tuffet, I scored a walk down memory land.

I see my Aunt Angelina in her kitchen finagling this contraption. This upside-down coffee (espresso)pot. Of course, they never called coffee "espresso" it was just coffee. If you wanted American coffee, well, you asked for American coffee.

I've been working on this pot. When I bought it, it was adorned with fine cobwebs and bits of who-knows-what, probably some sort of bug larvae long since forgotten. The aluminum had acquired a not-so-attractive gun-metal-gray patina.

After extensive google research on restoration of oxidized aluminum, I discovered yet another vinegar ephiphany. Apparently, "they say" if you boil the offensive aluminum item in one gallon of water with two tablespoon of white vinegar; your days of oxidation worry are over.

I must say, even though my entire house wreaked of vinegar and aluminum, the cobwebs and errant larvae were just a memory headed down the drain. The pot and its pieces DID look a bit brighter, but no where near the luster I expected. No, gentle readers, the only remedy would be the application of SOS scouring pads.

I'm up late tonight, working on the laundry. Between loads I decided that tonight would be just as good as any other time to shine that bad-boy up.
Clad with a pair of pink Playtex rubber gloves; I go at it. I give it all I've got. It's shiny! Yay! And, before you ask, I DID re-wash the whole she-bang with Dawn dish detergent as to remove any steel wool residue.

It is gorgeous! After a bit of a search, I found my long-lost can of Illy espresso beans. I grind them and calculate the correct water to finely ground espresso ratio.

The water is coming to a boil underneath. The insert holding the coffee is placed and the second half with the spout is placed on top. I waited until I saw a whiff of steam escape through the spout. Gingerly, as not to completely scald myself, I bring the pot over to the sink and FLIP! Its all good! No leakage, no spills.

The boiling water is merrily passing through the inner chamber and over the waiting grounds. I give it a good 10 minutes or so to drip through and then pour. The color is rich and the aroma delicious.

However, the secret to a good cup of coffee is throwing out the first pot. Let is sit and then toss it. Besides, its frickin' one in the morning. I'm not drinking espresso now!

TIP: Italians add sugar to the water before they make coffee. The sugar caramelizes and gives that smooth shiny texture to the brew. I'm so glad I know this. My espresso always seemed so blah compared to one you'd order "out" (and I don't mean at Starbucks!)

Good Night.

4 comments:

Maria said...

First, your nodules may be small enough to simply ignore once they get a small biopsy to make sure that they are not cancerous (and they rarely are.) Good news, yes?

I love coffee. Adore it. But, I have to have this special cuban blend that a friend illegally sends to me. I have gotten quite snotty about it and refuse to drink anything else. My eyebrow goes right up when one of my sisters asks me if I want a cup of "Sanka." No, I don't freakin want a cup of Sanka...

Gina said...

You see, this is what I'm talking about with you. You just don't walk past something like that and think,
"oh, just an obsolete contraption worthy of the trashpile." or " Aluminum- Yikes! Hold onto your brain!" No. YOU see this Flip thing as a treasure! Worthy of a good cleaning and polishing. THEN you actually drink from it! It's just so old school, that I feel I am watching you reinact a scene from the 1940s or 50s. Reminds me of the way people use to throw parties down in their basements...and everyone came and looked forward to spending the whole day down there! The way you took the time to bake a cake from SCRATCH for Gigi. Just Amazing.

I have espresso machine if you want some on Friday...or bring your own! Could be interesting!

Angelissima said...

SANKA! I don't know anyone who drinks or drank Sank.

Thanks for the nodes news. I'm not going to worry about them until I need or not need to.

Gina, we'll use your espresso maker. It was manufactured this century, no?

Greg Gillette said...

Angela, I just wanted to let you know that I think you have me confused with the blogger that writes "Hillsborough Journal". I see that you left a comment over there for me, and you have his link up on the right side of your page, but not mine (boo hoo!) The blog I write for the Courier News is "Gillette on Hillsborough". You can find it here

www.cnhillsborough.blogspot.com

By the way, great coffee pot!

Blog Archive